Show Notes: My Child Refuses Sleep
Has your child become an expert at stalling bedtime? Have you gone through patches where your child refuses sleep? Most parents have been there. It is a most frustrating time, when long anticipated peace and quiet is just around the corner. Dr Ashley Soderlund, developmental psychologist from Nurture and Thrive Blog, provides great suggestions for diagnosing and addressing bedtime refusal.
- Toddler or preschooler refuses sleep by using stalling tactics – asking for a drink, a cuddle, a story, grumbling
- Look at the bedtime – is it too early or too late? Has your child dropped a nap and needs to sleep earlier? Does s/he just need less sleep now?
- Perhaps your child is attempting to exert control. Provide apparent control through:
- A consistent bedtime routine
- A bedtime routine chart (Sign up to download ours)
- Include a massage as part of the bedtime routine.
- Use a toddler clock to cue bedtime (See a toddler clock review here).
- Get out of Bed Free Tickets (also featured in the video below)
- Check out the video below for more suggestions
- Nurture and Thrive Blog
- Toddler Clock Review
- Sign up for quality copies of our bedtime routine photos (Pictured below) and/or leaving the house routine sketches
Please subscribe, rate and share!
Is this scenario familiar to you? What has worked? What hasn’t? Please share your wisdom in the comments below.