Show Notes: Possums Sleep Intervention Part 4
Dr Koa Whittingham (A collaborator on the Possums Sleep Intervention – www.possumsonline.com) shares her thoughts on the use of dummies, and dealing with separation anxiety and sleep for young toddlers.
- The Possums Approach is that use of the Dummy is a personal decision.
- It is best to wait until breast feeding is established.
- Dr Whittingham’s opinion is that Dummies are a labor saving device, like baby bouncers.
- By all means use labor saving devices, just be aware that you are doing it.
- Use them if they allow you to regain sanity and be more responsive throughout the day.
- Don’t use labor-saving devices as a replacement for your attention and time with baby.
- Sucking for comfort is a very natural tendency. Consider what your boundaries are – sleep time only? Up to 6 months? 12 months? 18 months? 24 months?
Separation Anxiety and Sleep for young toddlers
- It is natural for children to want to be with parents at night.
- It’s about balancing the child’s desire to be with parents and parents’ needs and preferences.
- This is very young to require solo sleeping.
- Consider the parent’s values, needs, and desires. What is it about bed-sharing that is a problem?
- Experiment with a range of options. Bedsharing, room sharing, night-time visits.
- It is not forever.
- At the end of the day – do what works. Once they are adults, no one will be able to tell whether they coslept for 1 year or 7 years.
- Possums Sleep Intervention: Possums Online, and Feed your baby to sleep – The possums sleep intervention new recommendations
- The Discontented Little Baby book by Dr Pamela Douglas
- First step in any good sleep intervention (understanding sleep biology): www.practicalresearchparenting.com/firststeps or sign up by clicking here.
- Parenting from the Heart: www.koawhittingham.com.
- Becoming Mum book by Dr Koa Whittingham
- Sleep Options Wizard for 0-5 year olds
For more great resources on Mindfulness and ACT for parents, check out these links:
- Free Mindfulness Meditation App for pregnant couples: Mind the Bump .Org .Au
- 9 Tips for Mindful Mothering
- ACT: Taking Hurt to Hope – Struggling with attachment with Newborns
This is the 7th Episode in the series, here are links to the rest of the series:
- PRP014: Angry Parents Part 1 Acting inline with values despite anger
- PRP015: Angry Parents Part 2 Acting inline with values despite anger
- PRP016: Becoming a Mother
- PRP017: The Possums Sleep Intervention Part 1
- PRP018: The Possums Sleep Intervention Part 2
- PRP019: The Possums Sleep Intervention Part 3
- PRP020: The Possums Sleep Intervention Part 4
Please subscribe, rate and share!
Did you give your child a dummy? When did you (or will you) wean your child off it? Was it hard to wean off it? Was it worth it?